If you are looking for a luxury soy aromatherapy candle to burn in your home then you must check out Laura Thomas Linens as she sells them in a revitalising Lime & Basil fragrance (which I am going to review for you today) and also a classic Lavender fragrance. The candles are handmade and hand poured in the UK with 100% soy wax and essentials oils. The wick is made from a textile grade cotton.
Soy wax candles burn slower and cleaner than paraffin wax candles. You’ll be pleased to know that the soy wax is a natural oil product (from the soy bean) whereas paraffin wax is a petroleum byproduct which has been proved to emit toxins into the environment.
I have been lucky enough to receive the £15 6oz Lime & Basil soy candle for review and the intention was that I would try it out in my home…however….my Mum fell in love with the candle and said she would love to road-test it for me instead 🙂
Here are my mum’s thoughts on the Lime & Basil Soy Candle made by Laura Thomas from Laura Thomas Linens:-
- Both my Mum and I were very intrigued by the idea of a Lime & Basil fragrance as it is an unusual blend and one that we haven’t heard of before.
- When my mum first lit the candle I was surprised by the fact the candle had a subtle aniseed smell and I thought I must be mistaken as neither lime nor basil smell like aniseed / cloves that I knew of. However, I was wrong! I googled it and it seems that some varieties of basil have an essential oil in them called anethole which gives it an anise smell like licorice and some others contain eugenol which is the same scent as cloves. Amazing! We had no idea about this and as both my Mum and I like licorice / aniseed smells we were pleased to have that fragrant note present in the candle.
- The fragrance is very refreshing and clean. It is a fresh scent that is not too overpowering. My mum has discovered it is very good at neutralising cooking smells in the kitchen and it very gently fragrances the air with its Lime & Basil scent as it burns.
- My mum is extremely impressed by the amount of burn time you get from the candle. We were sent the 6oz candle and this is designed to give 25 hours burn time and my mum has certainly found this to be the case. She is only now half way through the candle but has definitely had at least 12 1/2 hours worth of candle burning time.
- It is the first time my mum has burnt a soy candle in her home and she was very pleased to see that there is a distinct lack of smoke/soot when she blows the candle out.
- My mum loves the simple white colour of the candle and the minimalistic label design. She says that it is not intrusive in the red/black colour scheme of her kitchen and it looks just as luxurious as it smells!
- When my mum first lit the candle she only had it going for a short while and so because of this some of the wax stayed unmelted at the sides and subsequently the next time she lit the candle it started to tunnel down slightly and only the centre melted. This was because she hadn’t realised that the first time she lit the candle she should have left it burning long enough for the entire top surface to melt. If she’d have done that then the tunnelling would probably not have occurred. Anyhow, I told her a trick to fix it and it worked like a charm! 🙂 You wrap silver foil around the glass candle jar when you light it the next time and this will help make all the solid wax at the sides melt. Here is a You Tube video showing you the trick.
My mum currently has a bit of a cold coming on so she has gone to light her Laura Thomas candle, put her feet up and watch a bit of TV. Obviously it will be helpful for her well-being to have a bit of a rest however the candle should also aid her recovery as, according to the webshop description, the lime essential oil is a natural immune booster and can aid mental clarity and reduce stress whilst the Basil essential oil is supposed to be effective in providing relief from cold, influenza and associated fevers. Just what my Mum needs! 🙂
If you would like to treat yourself to a new candle then you can purchase one from Laura Thomas Linens on this link. While you are over on her site take a look at the gorgeous crisp cotton bedding that she sells. You can see some photos in the collage above. It all looks so beautiful and simple but decadent at the same time. I love the look of the Cut Work Classic bedding set….the intricate detail is so pretty. There is also a an Organic Cotton Bedding Range that you are sure to love!
I’d like to say thank you to Laura Thomas for sending us the candle for review. It was a pleasure to review it on my blog. 🙂
You can find Laura Thomas Linens on various social media networks. The links are below :-
You can read more about her in this informative & interesting post from the StyleJuicer blog.